Are you an Intermediate-Senior level Web Developer who has a passion for helping train the next generation of devs? If you’re a natural teacher, believe the best way of learning is by doing and learning from professionals, are eager to surround yourself in a culture of smart people and love the idea of making a difference in the lives of students, you could be an ideal fit for our Education team.
Lighthouse Labs is an intense 10-week bootcamp that turns beginners into professional developers. We do this by using a hands on method, tons of 1 on 1 mentorship and by hiring amazing teacher/developers who want nothing more than to get the best out of ambitious, passionate & driven people.
If this sounds like you we’d love to chat about our contract teaching opportunities at Lighthouse Labs!
What You’ll be Doing
Teach and mentor our curriculum on your own terms. We structure our teaching opportunities so you can be as passive or active as you like, working anywhere from 5-30 hours. Providing one-on-one hands on mentorship is just the start of how our teaching staff can contribute to Lighthouse Labs and our students’ success. Below are some additional opportunities we provide:
- Delivering our morning lectures and leading breakouts
- Deeper involvement with student assessments and evaluations
- Influence what students are learning by simply having a say or contributing to our curriculum
- Developing and delivering workshops (rev share opportunities)
- Working on open source and our private software projects
- Opportunities within the community as well as our many ‘learn to code events’ across Canada
- Speaking at industry conferences and events (we have an annual budget to support this)
When You’ll be Doing it
- We offer a schedule and a consistent time commitment that works around your current job/ freelancing gigs/ side projects/ startup. (We want you to keep coding and contributing to community!). Weekly hours can range from 5-30 hours between 9am - 6pm.
- Gender, racial and ethnic diversity is important to us so we highly encourage people of diverse backgrounds to apply for this position!
- Preference for open source web languages and tools.
- We really like jQuery, Rails, React, NodeJS + (Express or Koa) but many of our mentors also have other backgrounds such as Django, , MeteorJS, Elixir + Phoenix, Scala, AngularJS, Ember,
- Strong knowledge of *nix operating systems
- Have strong sense of open source development workflows using tools such as Github
Nice to Have:
- Have mentored junior developers in a professional or personal capacity
- Teaching Experience
- Public speaking experience (giving talks at meetups, conferences, etc.)
- Experience with or strong understanding of how to create scalable web applications, not just startup MVPs
- As huge believers in continuous professional development, we encourage you to work on your own side projects
- We heavily encourage speaking and attending conferences, and have an annual budget devoted to it.
- We’re dog friendly :)
Please send an email with your interest to: teaching [at] lighthouselabs [dot] ca